Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Rebekah

Hello World,
We are having a slow day today.  The snow is falling in Amarillo and it looks like a winter wonderland outside.  The kids and I are snuggled in watching movies, eating popcorn, and sipping hot chocolate :)  I love days like this and they are so very few.  I know how little we get snow in Amarillo because for the last two years it's only really snowed a lot on Christmas day.  Now my son Drew thinks that anytime it snows it's Christmas.  He asked me this morning where the presents were.  I was laughing quite a bit with that comment.  Do any of your kids have expectations when something happens like mine do?

Rebekah by Jill Eileen Smith is the story of Isaac and Rebekah.  The story is told from both of the characters point of view.  If you're not familiar with this classic Bible story it is a love at first sight beginning.  Isaac's Father sent his servant to find a bride for him from his family back in his homeland.  When they first see each other; Isaac and Rebekah love each other immediately.  What follows is a lifetime of love, tears, laughter, betrayal, and growth.   

I will admit I am not the biggest fan of fictional stories being written about factual Biblical people.  This being said, I was pleasantly surprised by the care that Ms. Smith handled the book.  She not only put Biblical references in each part, but she also explained the liberties that she had taken while writing the book.  If you feel uneasy reading fictional books about Biblical stories I suggest you read her author's note at the end of the book, to better understand where she is coming from.  After reading it, I felt much better about reading this book. 

Ok, now on to the writing.  This book is a great lifetime romance, beautiful and poignant.  Ms. Eileen does a great job at weaving a story that not only shows love, but the cracks that can happen when you place your own desires above others.  It's a story of learning to trust not only your husband, but God.  So dear readers if you love a good lifetime romance about the people who have shaped the Bible I suggest you pick up Rebekah.
“Available February 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.”
*This book was given to me via Revell a division of Baker Publishing Group in hopes of my honest opinion and I honestly gave it.

Luke 5:15-17 NKJV
However, the report went around concerning Him all the more; and great multitudes came together to hear, and to be healed by Him of their infirmities.  So He Himself often withdrew into the wilderness and prayed

I love that in this verse it says that Jesus often withdrew into the wilderness and prayed.  Now you might think I'm crazy, but do you want to know where my wilderness is?  My wilderness is the shower.  I lock the door and turn on the flowing stream of water and I sit underneath it.  There I have to close my eyes, there I have to bow my head (so I don't get water in my nose :).  There my worries fade, and my praises are raised to the sky.  For the few minutes of that day I am with God, in His beautiful presence, and completely adoring him.  My cares and worries are given to him, and I have peace from this world.  Where is your wilderness dear readers?  If you don't have one, find one :)

No comments:

Post a Comment