Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Cooking the Books

Hello World,
I woke up this morning with a slight sinus headache, and a stuffy nose.  I was contemplating how I was going to get out of bed feeling like my head was trampled by a bunch of alpacas (my kids are watching The Emperors New Groove, thus the alpaca hehe).  All of a sudden the door opens and my husband walks in with a cup of coffee with my favorite creamer. The world looked a whole lot better to me with that first sip.  Now with a good decongestant the headache is gone and I'm ready for the day :-)

The book starts out with a confrontation between mysterious men leaving us with a cliff hanger wondering what happened.  We then skip ahead a month later to our leading lady (Sloane Templeton) who is struggling with the death of her mother and a history of abuse from her ex-husband.  On top of that she is now the owner of a coffee shop slash book store, and the responsibility of unique and quirky characters.  With a man trying to buy the business and cyber threats this book has a lot to offer for the reader.

Ok now I have a horrible thing to say, it really is something that is frowned upon for reviewers.  I didn't finish the book.  I am so sorry dear readers, but in all honesty this book just didn't seem to click for me, so I skimmed  the book.  That is not to say that this book isn't for everyone, there is a lot of humor and some quick wit, but for me, I just didn't get the humor and some of the sayings just didn't really click for me.  There is a strong thread of faith in Christ, and the mystery will keep you wondering who done it.  Again I do apologize for not fully reading the book, but it just wasn't for me, and to motivate my attention deficit self to read something I'm not really digging is really hard to do.
*This book was given to me via netgalley for my honest opinion, and I honestly did

Deuteronomy 13:4 NASB
Serve only the Lord your God and fear him alone.  Obey his commands, listen to his voice, and cling to him.

The last couple of months I've been reading albeit slowly through the Old Testament.  At first it was really hard because there are so many names, laws, and commands, but then you start seeing patterns of God's love and amazing acts of mercy.  So when I read a verse like this it doesn't seem like it's very loving, but in fact it is.  When you serve only God, when you fear him (revere, respect), when you obey his commands, listen to him and cling to him; you will be protected, you will be loved, you will lack for nothing, and have a peace that surpasses all.  These are God's promises to those who put their trust in him, don't forget that dear readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment