Monday, May 14, 2012

Raising Your Kids to Love the Lord

Hello World,
Sorry that this is a couple of days late, Todd was at a soccer tournament this weekend and he took the laptop. So you as well as me had to learn a little bit of patience until my computer came back.  Ok now I have to brag a little bit about my husbands girls team.  They have been improving so much this year and this last tournament they took first!  Beating out the sixth best team in New Mexico!  It's so great to see these young ladies grow into some pretty amazing athletes as well as beautiful women.  Todd and I both are so proud of them.

Raising Your Kids to Love the Lord was one of those books that came at just the right time.  Lately my children have been testing the limits of, well, actually everything.  There have been days where I have been at the end of my rope.  Literally I have felt that I've tried everything, and then I started reading this book.  Let me just preface, this is not a have a perfect child by Friday kind of book, nor is it a self help book.  As Dave Stone puts it "I survived!"  Those two words were about the most helpful bit of advice that I received, because in them was a bit of relief that other parents have struggled with the same problems that I have, and THEY SURVIVED :-)  If you are a parent who wants their child to grow up and love the Lord this is the book for you.  In this book you will find helpful insight of how to handle certain situations, a lot of encouragement through  life examples, and genuine moments of amazing truths.  It really is a good book.

I know what you're thinking, Bre you have had an awful lot of parenting books.  I know I'm reviewing them a bit, but truthfully right now in my life I need them :-)  I love my children, but recently it has been a struggle to discipline them with love, as well as help them understand how God wants them to act.  It has been hard, and there have been moments where I know I haven't done my best.  This book has been so helpful, more so then the others I would say.  Here I am pointing out certain things in my children and saying "would God want you to do this?  The Bible says you need to be slow to anger, are you doing that?"  This truly has worked for me because not only is it allowing the kids to know that God is real and is watching, but it also puts my attention on God as well, giving Him the honor and glory He deserves.  These last few days may not have changed much, but we have been putting God first in every situation and I am grateful for that.  I'm much calmer now disciplining my children and my children are realizing that God is real and He wants the best for everyone.
*This book was given to me via netgalley for my honest review and I honestly did.

1 Thessalonians 5:17
Pray without ceasing,

Such a simple command.  So hard to remember to pray without ceasing.  I continually need to remind myself  that in times of joy, give thanks to God, in times of need, give your petitions to the Lord, in times of calm, give your listening ear to the Lord, or in times of great sorrow, give your heart to the Lord.  Any time or moment in my life I need to be praying without ceasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment