Saturday, April 28, 2012

Parenting with Scripture

Hello!
It's a beautiful Saturday morning, really a great day to do my non-fiction piece :-)  Last night we had friends over and chatted around a fire.  I don't know about you, but there is something about a fire that is incredibly mesmerizing.  My usual bedtime past by quickly as I was talking with friends and watching the fire burn.  All of sudden I looked up and it was 11:00 pm.  We all decided that it was time to get going and said our goodbyes, but I think that's one of my favorite things to do, talking over a fire.

Parenting with Scripture is literally the best way to describe this book.  Ms. Durbin takes scripture and teachable moments for parents to use as a reference.  She does a great job at using situations that could come up in a child's life and using verses to help guide the child on his/her path of faith.  She recommends that parents use this for children two years old and up.  Heck I'm sure that if I gave my mom this book she would use it for me :-)

Ok I'll admit, upon first starting to read this book, I felt an immense amount of guilt.  I was thinking my goodness I'm an educator and I haven't thought of using scripture to teach my kids in moments that they need it most. Thank goodness Kara Durbin thought to write a book for parents, because I don't think I would have thought of this on my own.  I'm not very good at memorization, so having scripture at the tip of my fingers when a teachable moment occurs is great.  This book is a great reference book, read it through once, but always have it on hand for that moment you need a verse to help you parent your child in a Godly way.  I should note that there is a section of verses that Ms. Durbin highly encourages the reader to memorize.  I plan on do that!  So if you're a parent of a two year old or a sixty-three year old pick this book up.
*This book was given to me via netgalley for my honest opinion and I honestly did.

Thessalonians 5:11
Encourage one another and build each other up.

I'm a musician, and in my world perfection isn't just a word it's an action.  I need to be playing everything perfectly in order for myself to maintain my level as a music educator.  In my profession my peers as well as my students expect me to perform at a high level.  That's what I get paid the big bucks :-) and I hate to say it, but my first reaction to any situation is to look at it with a critical eye.  So for me this verse hits me.  I need to temper my actions and control my thoughts.  I can be encouraging and build people up while I teach them the skills to become a fine musician.  Help me Father to be a light to those who aren't a light, to encourage and build them up, because they might not have anyone in their life who is doing that but me.



No comments:

Post a Comment