Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Dilemma of Charlotte Farrow

Hello World!
Sorry again for the late blog, it has been a rather hard week :)  It's been interesting to say the least.  We have a house in Oshkosh, WI that is beautiful and it was our first home and it was simply just a great house for our little family.  When we moved we thought that it would be easy to sell, unfortunately the housing market dropped significantly.  It's been five years and the house has yet to sell.  If you can say a prayer for our family as we decide what would be the best in our circumstance I would appreciate it.

The Dilemma of Charlotte Farrow is the second book in the Avenue of Dreams series by Olivia Newport.  We first heard about Charlotte in the book The Pursuit of Lucy Banning (click here for the review).  Charlotte is a maid in the prestigious Banning household during the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition.  Her life is secure and her son safely secret at an older woman's home.  Until the day his caretaker drops him off at the Banning household.   Charlotte's Dilemma starts the moment she leaves, does she come out and say Henry is her son or allow the Banning's to determine her sons fate?  How will she trust God or anybody else with this beautiful secret?

This book was an incredible book, but in all honesty it was a tear jerker.  I have a very vivid imagination so when I read a book where a woman around my age is put in a situation of being forced to keep her son secret or lose her job it rips my heart.  I could not possibly fathom the pain of choosing between life of being destitute or losing your son.  My heart went out to Charlotte and the life she was leading.  I also was able to see the world of a servant, Ms. Newport's detailed descriptions of being a servant in an affluent home was historically accurate and telling.  The limits of what they can do for the pittance of  pay was eye opening to me.  So dear readers if you like a good historical romance this is a book for you.
*This book was given to me via Revell a division of Baker Publishing Group in hopes of my honest opinion and I honestly gave it.
Available January 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

Matthew 6:30-33 (The Message)
If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers-- most of which are never even seen, don't you think he'll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you?  What I'm trying to do here is get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving.  People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works .  Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions.  Don't worry about missing out.  You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.

I have had to cling to this passage this week.  As I pray for our house in Oshkosh the reminder that God will meet my everyday human concerns is a relief.  Now to just keep reminding myself so I don't fall into despair over a house that isn't selling :)

No comments:

Post a Comment