Monday, November 19, 2012

Against the Tide

Hello World!
Today I am making bread for Thanksgiving :)  Don't you just love the smell of bread baking.  I most certainly do, and the smell of fresh brand new books too (just in case you were wondering).  I will admit that I'm slightly giddy today.  One of them being that Thanksgiving is near, but two is that I have been inundated with a lot of great books, and you dear readers will be benefiting from this :)  So hold on to your pants, grab a cup of something warm, and get ready, because this week is going to be awesome for all the books I have to review.

Against the Tide by Elizabeth Camden is the story about Ms. Lydia Pallas, and Mr. Alexander Banebridge.  You may remember Alexander a.k.a. Bane from Ms. Camden's debut novel The Lady of Bolton Hill (review of that book click here).  At the end of the story Bane had just recently accepted Christ and was fleeing from some rather nefarious deeds he had done.  In this story we will see how he has grown into a pretty amazing Christian with a mission to accomplish. With that mission in mind Bane needs a person to help him out.   Lydia is an incredible translator for the Navy and Bane hires her to help him right the wrongs of his past.

Can I just say that I literally giggled when I finally figured out that this was a story about Alexander Banebridge!  Ok ladies, I know I am a married woman with my own amazing husband, but I'll admit I love characters who exemplify Christ with a little bit of an edge (maybe that's why I married Todd :)  Bane is a man's man. I also loved how the interplay between Lydia and Bane was done.  Not only is Lydia quick witted, but she was able to keep pace with Bane's repartee.  You will not be disappointed with this book, you'll stay up all night wanting to finish it.   The plot is interesting, the faith thread is just right, and the romance perfect.  So dear readers, I don't think I can recommend this book enough, but hopefully I truly persuaded you in reading Against the Tide.  Oh and don't worry if you have never read The Lady of Bolton Hill, you'll be perfectly fine and will  not be left in the dark with anything.

*This book was given to me via Bethany House a division of Baker Publishing Group in hopes of my honest opinion and I honestly gave it.

Isaiah 65:20-24
 No more shall there be in it an infant that lives but a few days, or an old person who does not live out a lifetime; for one who dies at a hundred years will be considered a youth, and one who falls short of a hundred will be considered accursed. They shall build houses and inhabit them; they shall plant vineyards and eat their fruit.  They shall not build and another inhabit; they shall not plant and another eat; for like the days of a tree shall the days of my people be, and my chosen shall long enjoy the work of their hands. They shall not labor in vain, or bear children for calamity; for they shall be offspring blessed by the Lord— and their descendants as well. Before they call I will answer, while they are yet speaking I will hear.

While I was reading this passage something inside me rejoiced.  Something inside me gave pause to the wonderful sense that never will we have to even think about death, or not being with our children.  Never will my labor be in vain or worry about times being too tough for my child, because everything will be blessed by the Lord.  He will hear my need and answer it before I even finish asking.  What an incredible passage.  I hope you take hope from this as much as I did :)

No comments:

Post a Comment