Saturday, September 29, 2012

You Are What You Wear

Hello World,
What a rainy day it has been.  I had the great privilege to be able to play with my church's worship team tonight and tomorrow as well.  It's always fun to play well arranged pieces with a band and great singers, but then to add worshiping our amazing Father in heaven, well words can't describe it :)  Are you doing anything fun this weekend?

You Are What You Wear by Dr. Jennifer Baumgartner is a book about clothes and what certain clothes reveal about you.  I was drawn in (as usual) by the cover.  It's an interesting cover and it made me think about my years of trying to  be comfortable in what I wear.  Our author known as  Dr. B is a wardrobe consultant, but also has a doctoral degree in psychology.  She looks in to her patients wardrobe to really see what is going on with their life and style.

I would like to preface these next few statements with, this is not a Christian book.  I know that generally speaking I don't review books that aren't Christian, but this is just a book that I needed right now.  I've struggled with style for a good portion of my life, so I really wanted to read what a doctor would say about it.  This book was refreshing, and honest and really dealt with a multitude of problems us gals can have mental as well as physical.  Not only is it honest, but it's eloquent.  This book made me look at myself and my wardrobe and really see what I like about my style, and what I can potentially get rid of.  So dear readers, if you're feeling frumpy, or in a rut over what to wear please get the book You Are What You Wear.

2 Timothy 1:7-8
For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.  So you must never be ashamed to tell others about our Lord.  And don't be ashamed of me, either, even though I'm in prison for Christ.  With the strength God gives you, be ready to suffer with me for the proclamation of the Good News.  

Sometimes I'm timid, and I fear the repercussions of inviting someone to church.  Why?  I seriously have no clue.  I have never felt any physical punishment from me inviting someone, maybe an odd stare but that's it.  So when I read this verse I feel convicted and a very real reminder of what God has given me.  I have been given a spirit of power, love and self-discipline.  Why should I be ashamed to tell others about God or invite them to a place that worships him fully.  What a relief, what an immense feeling to have that burden off my shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment