Saturday, March 24, 2012

My Own Worst Enemy

Hello!
Isn't the word Hello just fun to say, a lot of times it can bring a smile to someone face instantly.  So that's why I usually start off with a big ol' Hello!  Because I truly hope when you read my blog you're smiling.  You may be wondering why I'm writing today, a Saturday.  Well I received so many page views these couple of days and books from some awesome publishers that I have to start doing a nonfiction book day and a fiction book day.  Thus why I'm writing on Saturday.  Saturday's are now the new nonfiction book days!  I hope you enjoy it and start digging into some awesome nonfiction books.

Bethany House Publishers very nicely gave me my first free book in hopes for my honest review and taking this from another reviewer I am honestly very happy about doing that.

Ok back to work.  My Own Worst Enemy by Janet Davis is really for women readers.  This book looks at your fears and what is holding you back.  Taking stories of women from the Bible and using examples of herself Ms. Davis dissects our thought life, actions, and emotions to get down to the nitty gritty of what is holding us back.

Ms. Davis does a great job at truly making sure that her book is sound in Biblical doctrine.  Not only does she use examples of Biblical women but she supports her findings with verses and doctrinal teaching.  What a relief to read a "self-help" book and know that it doesn't have any fluff in it.  I also really appreciated her using examples of women struggling with some of the same fears that her readers might be struggling.  Telling their story was uplifting.  So dear readers if your feeling as if you're hiding behind insecurities or if God is asking you to take a leap and you're scared, please read My Own Worst Enemy.  You will not regret it.

Proverbs 31:30
     Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised.  NABS 


Out of everything in this verse I'm caught by the words "fears the Lord".  What does that mean necessarily?  You see I grew up in a household where I had no fear of my Dad.  I remember my dad saying "Breeze do you know how much I love you?  I love you so much, but God loves you a million times more."  I grew up knowing that God loved me more then life itself, I did not grow up with a fear of the Lord.  So reading this verse I am at a loss with how to fear God.  In Hebrew, fear can take many forms: revere, shake, and awe are just a few of its meaning.  I imagine that when I meet God at the end of my life I will be on my knees shaking because of His enormity and wonder.  When I revere God it is with a humble heart realizing how much He has done and will be doing in each of our lives.  Foremost, being in awe of such a great and wonderful God who created sunrises, my children, and beauty all around us.  Fearing the Lord when I see it in these terms makes it slightly easier to understand this verse.  

No comments:

Post a Comment