Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Key on the Quilt

Hello World.
How is everyone doing?  It's Wednesday and I have a very brilliant achingly sad book for you today.  I'm going to very honest and poignant about this book.  It isn't a fluffy book; several times I had to set this book down just to think through everything.  It brought questions to my mind, and for me to have a book where I'm waking up in the middle of the night grieving for the main character is truly hard to do.

The Key on the Quilt is kind of like Shawshank Redemption.  I don't really like to compare things, but it's the best way to make you understand this book.  Our main character (Jane Prescott) is a woman broken from an abusive relationship serving time for manslaughter.  Here we have a woman wrongfully accused in a very desperate situation. The story takes place while she is serving her time and she encounters people that either build her up or try and tear her down.  I don't really want to give you more because truly I want you to read this story with an open heart and an open mind.

Ms. Whitson does a phenomenal job at creating books.  They are so beautifully written that one is magically drawn in.  Needless to say, I almost didn't read this book, because of reading the back cover.  I didn't want to be sad, but as a dear friend said to me "Sometimes you need to know the truth about the evils of this world."   What made me want to read this book was the amazing Christian characters who are in Jane Prescott's life.  They are wanting to do the will of God and yearning to glorify Him in every way.  Going about their daily work, using their own two feet as a mission field.  These characters made me want to do my best in what I am doing right now.  That's a good book to me, as sad as it is, the book made me desire to grow closer in my walk with Jesus.  Pleas read The Key on the Quilt you won't regret it.


*This e-book was given to me through netgalley by Barbour Books for my honest review, and I'm honestly very happy about that.


James 1:2-4
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.  And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.


I thought this was appropriate considering the book I reviewed :-)  Let me just tell you how these verses make me feel.  Joy, I don't think you fully realize this word unless you have faced a difficulty.  I don't know what your difficulty is, but it doesn't matter this command here is telling us to call it a joy.  Here's the kicker while we are struggling and going through difficult times we're asked not to run a way but to remain steadfast, to remain under the struggle.  Why?  Because the struggle and steadfastness will produce perfection and you will lack in nothing.  I'm sure this is the last thing you desire while going through a hard time, but please dear reader remember that God wants the best for you and He loves you so much more then anyone ever could.  So much that He desires you to be the best that you can be.  Like our character for The Key on the Quilt, she went through something terrible but in the end something far greater was given to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment